Monday, January 19, 2009

The Gift Revealed

I've been alluding to a big, super Christmas gift, but I've just now gotten C to get a picture ready for me to show here. After lots of hemming and hawing, thinking and re-thinking, second-guessing my commitment to making things, talking to C and Mel about it, C and I decided he would purchase a sewing machine for me for Christmas. Not just any sewing machine, the mother brand of all sewing machines... with no further ado, behold my BERNINA!



Okay, that's not the best picture, but it's all I've got. I am ashamed to admit that I had not sewn on it at all when I went in for my first mastery lesson with it (yes, you get six classes with the purchase of this brand). However, this past week, I put together what I am calling a burp cloth (it could be a "lovie") for Mel's little one. So, finally, I really sewed on it and made something. Hooray! I am still planning to stick to my plan to make pajamas for us all for 2009's Christmas morning. I did use flannel for the backing of the burp cloth, so that was my first experience sewing flannel. I'm not sure if our pajamas will be flannel... I need to make a trip to the great big fabric store soon to decide on some material. I hope this will prove to be a smart, useful purchase and not just a dust gatherer. Of course, my mom has already mentioned that now we could make some curtains to replace the deteriorating ones on my back door. (I'm not kidding, C and I are thinking of taking some pictures to send to HGTV in the hopes that they will come help us :) Oh, and I'm still wanting to choose a name for my gal (besides Bernina). She needs a name, any suggestions?

7 comments:

mel said...

You tickle me! I was so there with you with the hemming and hawing though...that was a tough decision to make, but one I haven't regretted yet. My aunt told me at the shower this weekend that she has some patterns I can use to make Little One some pants! I can't wait to practice with those. And Chris has found me a pattern to make wool or fleece diaper covers, since Baby will be using cloth! I'm way stoked about trying that out. I can make them SO much cheaper than we can buy wool covers. I've been thinking about making curtains too, but haven't gotten there yet. I'm still working on a few projects for the in-laws.

Hmmm, how about Sarah for the sewing machine? ;)

K said...

Sarah!!! Ha ha ha ha!!

Anonymous said...

I think you should call him Bernie Mac!

K said...

The above anonymous comment is from my husband!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I so wish I could sew...

I seriously tried to think of a good name - but the fact that I'm so sewing-challenged is a little too intimidating.

mel said...

OMG! Chris and I are rolling... Bernie Mac. That's good.

K said...

How about Bernie May or Nina May? C is silly; he knows machines are female!