Thursday, June 18, 2009

Secret Life of Grime


With my turn to host book club coming up (next Friday!), I am getting ready to do some pretty deep cleaning. If I am to be honest, this is the only time my kitchen gets the good cleaning it needs (cabinet doors wiped clean, baseboards, chair rails, the works). So, I was wondering if I am the only person who has specific spots that I clean, that I wonder if others clean. I am a germophobe but not a neat freak at all. When I am in others' homes, I am looking at their decor, particularly the walls, as I tend to go bare-walled compared to others, not how clean their houses appear. However, there are a few specific places I do look at and wonder, "have they cleaned that?" Today, I was cleaning one of those: the ice and water dispenser on the refrigerator. It can really get disgusting, especially if you have really hard water (like we do). I also really like to get that cover on the bottom of the refrigerator clean (I guess I have a thing about refrigerator cleanliness). I know some of the things that often can be overlooked like the ceiling fan blades and picture frames, but what are some other grimy spots that you notice? I want to make sure I hit 'em all!

4 comments:

mel said...

I don't really look at others' houses either. I notice decor, like you. And by the way, I am still loving your mantle!! :)

However, I am VERY insecure about my own cleaning habits and worrying constantly about what others are thinking when they come to our house...and it doesn't help that we have the dogs to fuss over too.

Your house is fine.

Unknown said...

I'm sure it's fine. It's all about the food and drinks you serve anyway. : )

The Via Colony said...

tops of the cupboards and refrigerator in the kitchen. They get that nasty funk on them!

Heather of the EO said...

I always clean like crazy before having company and I don't pay attention to cleanliness much when I go to other people's houses. I often wonder why I work so hard when most people don't notice :)