Sunday, October 12, 2008

Autumn Views



These are the trees I see from my kitchen window. Unfortunately, I'm still a bit leery of staying outside for very long because of our allergies. Hoping that some recent rain will have washed some of the pollen away. Below is a perfect little seat that one of the dogwoods makes. I can just picture a young woman in a white dress sitting on it (think Anne of Green Gables times).







Excitement! I just figured out how to move a picture a bit (we'll see if it lasts when I publish this post).

I have recently re-discovered that I really enjoy creating. I have been taking a sewing course, and we made this small bag/purse.





I hung it on a tree limb as they do in department store ads. I decided I better post a picture or all the sewing bloggers I've been visiting won't believe I've ever sewn a thing. It's far from perfect, but the evening I got home after making it, I had this creative adrenaline rush. I wasn't sleepy; I was jazzed. So, if one little bag can make me feel so energized and, well, just plain good, what would it be like if I could find (make) the time to create more often? We'll see if I can really do it, after I stop taking the classes (where I have a dedicated time and place to sew).



Finally, sometimes my mind's eye puts a picture to verse. While walking with H this morning, I snapped this with my iPhone...




H was wearing his binoculars, because it is "a perfect day for bird-watching." When I saw our shadows holding hands, I just prayed, "Thank you, God, thank you, God, thank you God." It made me think of Emily Dickinson's

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church –
I keep it, staying at Home –
With a Bobolink for a Chorister –
And an Orchard, for a Dome –


So thankful for my precious boys and beautiful days spent with them. Below is the rest of the poem.

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice –
I just wear my Wings –
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton – sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman –
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
I’m going, all along.

2 comments:

mel said...

Love the pictures, love the creativity and love the poem. How did I not notice that little branch seat when I was at your house visiting last time!? Love that too! Glad you had a wonderful weekend. We do have so much to be thankful for!

The Via Colony said...

I absolutely LOVE the fall!!! the cool crisp weather and the changing color of the leaves=)

I like the creative positioning of your new pocket book too=)