Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bearing Fruit

Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 This was one of my daddy's favorite quotes. I heard him recite it often. I am hoping that we are "training up" our boys to become admirable men some day.

I am so proud of H! He did really well as ring-bearer in the wedding this weekend. Read on!

H had fun at the rehearsal luncheon, running around with the flower girl. And guess who was in the bar of the restaurant we were having the luncheon in? Tommy Lee (of Motley Crüe and Pamela Anderson Lee fame). My friend's husband went down to the bar to get H some Sprite (I cut it with water always!) and came back up and told us Tommy Lee was there. So, H and I walked back down to see him, but I would never have known it was him. Still, it's always kind of neat to say you've seen a famous person. Unfortunately, H didn't get to see any fireworks on the 4th this year, but since it was the night before the wedding, I didn't want to keep him up late (not to mention trying to keep W on his schedule).

Saturday, H had some pictures taken before the ceremony, then I took him for a car ride and he got a thirty minute nap. We returned for the ceremony. He walked down the aisle (somewhat with the flower girl). He did walk straight to me and sit down, but I was right behind the mother-of-the-bride, so that was okay. He sat still and did not talk during the ceremony, and despite the incredible heat, he managed to keep all of his tux accoutrements on until the pictures were finished. He did complain about the jacket and bow tie, but who can blame him? Outdoor wedding in July?!? By the time we got home, I wanted to take another shower before going to bed. I just felt sticky from being hot and sweaty. However, the curse of the weddings seems to be on us, as he woke up Saturday (the day of the wedding) with what he called "a nose problem." I am thinking it's just a cold. At the reception, H had more fun "chasing" with the flower girl and some other children.

I am also proud to say, he has continued doing great with the potty (even while we were away from home, we figured out a way and it involves a cup, 'nough said). We have also noticed that H's manners are improving. We're hearing a lot more pleases, thank yous, and yesses (as opposed to yeahs- which drive me crazy). He is also very helpful when my hands are full (often with W).

A few things from the wedding experience. Three of the guests wore these banded dresses! Wow! They are very short; as I told my husband, there is only so much leg, you know? One of these guests caught the bouquet, and C said, "When the guy who caught the garter put the garter on her, he really put it where you'd put a garter and you could still see it." The dress was that short. When I see the things young women wear theses days, I'm so glad to be an old married woman. The other thing I can't wrap my mind around is the phenomenon of really laid back parents. C and I are both fairly germ-o-phobic (okay, I am really germ-o-phobic). Some of the things we see other parents let their children do, though, makes us question whether anyone could truly be that laid back without some kind of medication. I know that we are really not laid back, but still... Oh well, I told C, maybe their parenting philosopy is "whatever doesn't kill them, makes them stronger." To each his own, right?

On a side note, C woke me up one night snoring and hiccupping. How can someone fall asleep when they have the hiccups? It does worry me a bit that he every once in awhile gets hiccups in the middle of the night. He'll have them before going to bed, then they'll go away and come back in the middle of the night. Strange, I know. Let's hope tonight we can all get some much-needed, post-wedding weekend rest.

1 comment:

mel said...

I'm glad that you've brought up the topic of overly laid-back parents. I've been meaning to tell you this little story... Back in early June, C and I were heading to Chapel Hill for a wedding (don't get me started on how an NC State grad handled a wedding in Tar Heel territory!). We stopped at a Chik Fil A along the way for a quick bite of lunch and noticed a lady in the line ahead of us holding a small toddler. The child spits out her pacifier, and then the mother bends down, picks it up and IMMEDIATELY plugs the pacifier back into the kids' mouth!!! I was so mortified I had to turn away. Upon regaining my composure, C looks at me and says, "Listen. You know I don't care as much about germs as you do, but wasn't that just wrong?!"

Thank God for the small things. Had C been OK with the travesty that had just unfolded before my eyes, I'd have seriously questioned whether or not I could have children with this man!!